Jan 25, 2007

Fearless: Director's Cut (R3) (141 min)

Synopsis:

Fearless follows the life of Huo Yuanjia (1867-1909), founder of the Jing Wu Sports Federation. Apart from the gripping plot, partly historical and partly fabricated, the film also demonstrates great creativity in its action scenes. Rarely does a movie show contests between Chinese Kung-fu and Japanese Judo or Thai boxing, but Fearless will show you all these, with every scene carefully choreographed, plus more! The film's exploration into the spirit beneath Chinese martial arts, which is as significant as the stunning actions, distinguishes Fearless from ordinary Kung-fu movies. Jet Li will show fans the real meaning of Chinese martial arts, and why true heroes are Fearless.

Mini-Review:

I have to say "WOW!” This felt like a whole different movie than the theatrical release. With more than 30 minutes added back in, it makes a BIG difference. And, I liked the theatrical version, but this just makes it that much better. Not all directors’ cuts do that.

The opening scene is new, and it stars Michelle Yeoh. It is present day, and she is talking to a group of people about adding Wushu as an Olympic sport. Then we go to the story, when Jet Li's character (Huo Yuanjia) is a kid.

There are a few new scenes when he is a kid. There is a pretty cool fight scene with a Thai boxer. But, the main difference is the story. They show so much more about Huo Yuanjia's fall and rise. This for me, made the film much more interesting and believable.

If you have not seen Fearless yet (where have you been?), then I say do not waste your time with the theatrical version. Just see this version. It's the way it was meant to be seen. The DVD is Region 3, so you will need to have a Region-free DVD Player. If you don't, you should not be reading this blog! :)-

The Video (New HD transfer) and DTS audio are awesome! The action scenes will use your subwoofer and pack a PUNCH! The subtitles were really good as well.

Overall, this is the definitive version of this great film!

Rating: Keeper

CROSE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen this one yet. Glad i waited. Can I borrow your R3 DVD player to watch?

CROSE said...

But, it has subtitles.

Anonymous said...

one thing, when I saw this film in the theaters the subtitles were moving and authentic, then it seems as I bought the dvd (unrated/theatrical) version the subtitles seemed to change from what I remember into some sort of mixture of modernized turn of the century China slang... basicly I was so disturbed by this that I have not watched the movie since nor can I shake the violations that I think have been committed against this great movie through the shitty subtitles in the dvd. Why can't I just own what I saw in the theaters and enjoyed so much. Anyways I am not going to waste money on a dvd of this movie again unless I know the subs are not some shitty translation that some white guy did so that other white guys could connect with the time period. (I am Korean by the way) so are the subs the same as the theater or are they dumbed down for the masses?