Jan 19, 2007

Fatal Contact DVD Review


Synopsis:

Wu Jing returns with more vigorous action in Fatal Contact after his stunning performance in SPL. The film also stars Ronald Cheng, whose comedian talent helps spice up this hard-boiled action movie directed by Dennis Law. After two youth films The Unusual Youth and Love @ First Note, Law shifts to the action genre for his third feature-length movie. Fatal Contact takes its viewers into the underground world of illegal boxing, a violent and merciless arena where one has to fight in order to simply survive. The top-notch action in the numerous martial arts sequences will surely keep the audience entertained.

Wu Jing excels in his role as the martial arts champion Kong who participates in underground boxing under his friend Siu Tin's (Miki Yeung of Cookies) encouragement. There he meets Captain (Ronald Cheng), an apparently good-for-nothing gangster who has actually concealed his real capabilities. While Kong repeatedly wins the matches in these illegal tournaments, a triad leader who runs another boxing circuit gets annoyed and finds a martial arts master to beat Kong. A life-and-death boxing game is about to begin...

Mini-Review:

This film stars Wu Jing. You will remember him as the blond-haired knife wielding bad ass in S.P.L. (Sha Po Lang). This was one of my favorite fights in S.P.L.. Donnie Yen and Wu Jing going all out on each other! I knew I would see more of this guy in the future. So, when I read a review about Fatal Contact, and realized this was his first lead role, I had to check it out.


The film starts off kind of slow, and the acting is pretty uncomfortable. They introduce the presumed love interest, but you can tell right away something is off. I don't want to go into to much, but that part of the film is annoying, until the end. Then you understand, kind of.

The film revolves around underground boxing. Wu Jing's character reluctantly gets involved for money and the presumed love interest. The fight scenes are great. You can really tell this guy has talent. I counted around 6 good fights. All were well choreographed, and sometimes brutal.

The DTS audio was awesome. Great base was used for the fights, and that's what I liked. The subtitles were good from what I could tell. They could have been saying something completely different, and I wouldn't know. 0_o

Overall, I am glad I watched the film. I can't wait to see more of Wu Jing in the future. The ending is not expected, and I usually like that. In this case though, I really didn't. It messed up the rest of the film for me.

Rating = Rental

CROSE

No comments: