Nov 14, 2006

Pusher Trilogy Review

Pusher Trilogy


PUSHER

PUSHER II: WITH BLOOD ON MY HANDS

PUSHER III: I’M THE ANGEL OF DEATH

Pusher Trilogy Trailer

Synopsis:

Writer and director Nicolas Winding Refn turned down a place at the prestigious National Danish Film School in order to make his 1996 feature film debut, PUSHER. This violent, edgy, yet moving cult classic established Refn as an uncompromising filmmaker of great talent and depth. Following his next two films, Bleeder (1999) and Fear X (2003), Refn returned to the Copenhagen underworld in 2004 with PUSHER II: WITH BLOOD ON MY HANDS, while 2005 saw the release of PUSHER III: I’M THE ANGEL OF DEATH.

All three PUSHER films display Refn effortlessly blending moody atmospherics and frenetic action, portraying his characters with a depth and confidence belying his years. Though each film can be appreciated independently of the other two, Refn subtly interweaves these three tales so that a minor character in one film moves to the fore to become the central character of the next. The resulting trilogy stands as a masterful reinvention of international crime cinema, as poignantly human as it is brutally and viscerally realized. The PUSHER trilogy reveals the humanity in even the most violent criminals and how every pusher?no matter what his status?is only one bad deal away from total ruin.


Mini-Review:

I had allot of expectations going into this trilogy. I have heard about it for the last 2 years, and really heard nothing bad about it. It sounded like something right up my ally. Maybe that high expectation, is why I was a little disappointed.

There are some great and interesting characters, that are easy to buy into. They seem to just end up going down the wrong paths. The endings of all three films, leave you feeling that you really don't care for the main actors anymore.

I am still glad I saw these films finally, and as a whole or each movie by themselves, they are OK films. Just not what I was hoping for. Moral of the Pusher Trilogy? Drugs are bad!

I liked the way they packaged the trilogy. One big case that holds all three DVDs. Audio is only 2.0 on all three films. I was not too happy about that. Since the first film is from 1996, then I can understand, but the final 2 came out in 2004 & 2005. A little 5.1 wouldn’t hurt. Subtitles looked good to me.

There is a documentary on the first disc called The Gambler, that I would like to watch before selling the set. Maybe this will help with my opinions for the trilogy.

Rating: Rental

CROSE

Next up: Exploding DVD Player!

3 comments:

Trey said...

I thought Dolph Lundgren was in the first one....

CROSE said...

Refn wanted him, but couldn't afford his Hollywood talent. After The Punisher did so well at the box office in '89, he was too much of an A-Lister for Refn's first film.

Take that to the bank!

Trey said...

I still think they should have called that Thomas Jane movie "Punisher (too)" for a semi-sequel.